I started pouring small amounts into paper/styrofoam cups and putting a brush into each one. This technique works wonders for me! Some of the benefits are:
- The glaze isn't wasted on the brush handle.
- If the cup tips over, not much is wasted.
- The cups are non-stick which makes it easy to pour back into the jars.
- The students don't have to wash brushes in between which helps the glaze and is time efficient.
- Many students can use the same color at one time.
The other thing that you may notice about my set-up is that I place the cups on colored construction paper so that the students know what color the glaze will eventually turn out. I also have placed a small ceramic token that has been glazed with that color so they can see the true color.
Hope this helps! :)